Nodular sclerosing adenosis: Case report
Keywords:Nodular sclerosing adenosis, Breast, Ultrasonography, Mammography
Sclerosing adenosis (SA) is a benign proliferative type of breast disease affecting the acinar, myoepithelial and connective tissue in the terminal ductal lobular units. Sclerosing adenosis, which gives a nodular appearance on mammography and ultrasonography, is defined as nodular sclerosing adenosis (NSA). NSA is an atypical radiological presentation of SA. Such lesions may arouse suspicions about the reliability of the diagnosis when they receive a diagnosis of SA in the needle biopsies. Therefore, it should be kept in mind that SA may rarely be seen as a nodular mass.
Chen YL, Chen JJ, Chang C, Gao Y, Wu J, Yang VT, Gu YC. Sclerosing adenosis: Ultrasonographic and mammographic findings and correlation with histopathology. Molecular and Clinical Oncology. 2017;6:157-62.
Cyrlak D, Carpenter PM, Rawal NB. Breast imaging case of the day. RadioGraphics. 1999;19:245-7.
Franquet T, De Miguel C, Cozcolluela R, Donoso L. Spiculated lesions of the breast: mammographic-pathologic correlation. RadioGraphics. 1993;13:841–52.
Gunhan-Bilgen I, Memis A, Ustun EE et al. Sclerosing adenosis: mammographic and ultrasonographic findings with clinical and histopathological correlation. Eur J Radiol. 2002;44:232–8.
Visscher DW, Nassar A, Degnim AC, et al. Sclerosing adenosis and risk of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014;144:205–12.
Haagensen CD. Diseases of the breast. Edited by 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders. 1986.pp.106-117.
Tavassoli FA. Pathology of the breast. Edited by Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lange, 1992. pp.93-97.
Pandey V, Kumar KM, Shanker VH, Indira V. Sclerosing adenosis clinically feigning as carcinoma breast: A case report. IAIM. 2015;2(9):148-51.
Jensen RA, Page DL, Dupont WD, Rogers LW. Invasive breast cancer risk in women with sclerosing adenosis. Cancer. 1989;64:1977-83.
Cucci E, Santoro A, Di Gesu J, Di Cerce R, Sallistio G. Sclerosing adenosis of the breast: report of two cases and review of the literature. Pol J Radiol. 2015;80:122–7.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Emrah Doğan, Leyla Tekin, Serkan Yaşar Çelik, Murat Polat, Marwa Mouline Doğan
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Emrah Doğan, Alev Süzen, Marwa Mouline Doğan, Serkan Yaşar Çelik, Neşat Çullu, The unexpected surgical emergency in a child with cystic fibrosis: An acute appendicitis with unusual presentation , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 1 (2019):
- Emrah Doğan, Marwa Mouline Doğan, Süha Gül, Neşat Çullu, Left persistent superior vena cava with large coronary sinus: A case report , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 2 (2019):
- Emrah Doğan, Süha Gül, Neşat Çullu, Marwa Mouline Doğan, Case of incomplete fibular hemimelia with tarsal coalition, pes planus, ball and socket ankle , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 3 (2019):
- Emrah Doğan, Marwa Mouline Doğan, Süha Gül, Bünyamin Güney, Computed tomography findings of mesenteric ischemia related to acute superior mesenteric vein thrombosis: A case report , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 3 (2019):
- Emrah Doğan, Leyla Tekin, Bünyamin Güney, Önder Özcan, A case report of the breast tubular adenoma in the perimenopausal age group , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 5 No. 5 (2021):