Serum galectin-3 levels and vitamin D relationship in heart failure
Keywords:Galectin 3, Congestive heart failure, Vitamin D3 level
Background/Aim: Heart failure is an important health problem with an increasing incidence in the world and poor prognosis. Galectin-3 is associated with progressive fibrosis, an underlying pathology of heart failure, just as vitamin D deficiency. We examined the relationship between the stage of heart failure and galectin-3 and 25-OH vitamin D levels. Methods: Sixty patients with heart failure and 30 healthy volunteers were included in this prospective case-control study. Demographic data, comorbid diseases and laboratory data were examined, and 25-OH vitamin D and galectin-3 levels were compared between the patients with CHF and the control group. Results: Galectin-3 levels were high in patients with heart failure (P<0.001) and increased as the ejection fraction (EF) decreased (P=0.001). 25-OH vitamin D levels were lower in the patient group compared to the control group (P<0.001). There was no significant correlation between serum galectin-3 and vitamin D levels (r=-0.22; P=0.094); however, serum galectin-3 levels and the stage of CHF were correlated (r=0.66; P=0.001). Conclusions: We found high serum galectin-3 levels in patients with heart failure and low 25 OH vitamin D levels. We think that both molecules are important prognostic biomarkers in cardiac inflammation and fibrosis.
Poole-Wilson PA. History, Definition and Classification of Heart Failure. Heart Failure 1 New York: Churchill Livingstone.1997; p269–277.
NICE. Chronic Heart Failure. National Clinical Guidelines for Diagnosis and Management in Primary and Secondary Care. The National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions. London: NICE. 2005;(5):1-163.
Dumic J, Dabelic S, Flögel M. Galectin: an open-ended story. Biochim Biophys Acta.2006;(1760):616-635
Kim H, Lee J, Hyun JW, Park JW, Joo HG, Shin T. Expression and immunohistochemical localization of galectin 3 in various mouse tissues. Cell Bio Int. 2007;(31):655-62.
de Boer RA, Voors AA, Muntendam P, van Gilst WH, van Veldhuisen DJ. Galectin-3: a novel mediator of heart failure development and progression. Eur J Heart Fail. 2009;(11):811-81.
Sharma UC, Pokharel S, van Brakel TJ, et al. Galectin-3 in Patients with Heart Failure Reflects Both Inflammation and Fibrosis: Implıcations for Its Use as a Biomarker. Circ Heart Fail. 2017;(10):e003804.
Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Eng J Med. 2007;357(3):266-81.
Anderson JL, May HT, Horne BD, Bair L Tami, Hall L Nathaniel, Carlquist F John, et al. Relation of vitamin D deficiency to cardiovascular risk factors, disease status and incident events in a general healthcare population. Am J Cardiol 2010;(106):963-8.
Gullestad L, Ueland T, Vinge LE, Finsen A, Yndestad A, Aukrust P. Inflammatory cytokines in heart failure: mediators and markers. Cardiology. 2012;122(1):23–35.
Schleithoff SS, Zittermann A, Tenderich G, Berthold HK, Stehle P, Koerfer R. Vitamin D supplementation improves cytokine profiles in patients with congestive heart failure: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;83(4):754–9.
Adapted from Dolgin M, Association NYH, Fox AC, Gorlin R, Levin RI, New York Heart Association. Criteria Committee. Nomenclature and criteria for diagnosis of diseases of the heart and great vessels. 9th ed. Boston, MA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; March 1, 1994.
De Boer RA, Voors AA. Galectin-3: a novel mediator of heart failure development and progression. Eur J Heart Fail. 2009;(11):811–7.
Ho JE, Liu C. Galectin-3, a marker of cardiac fibrosis, predicts incident heart failure in the community. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;(60):1249–56.
LeBleu V. S, Teng Y, O'Connell J.T., Charytan D., Muller G.A., Muller C.A., et al. Identification of human epididymis protein-4 as a fibroblast-derived mediator of fibrosis. Nat Med. 2013;(19):227-31.
Schoreten F, Ruifrok WP, Kleijn L, Dokter MM, Silljé HH, Lambers Heerspink HJ, Bakker SJ, Kema IP, van Gilst WH, van Veldhuisen DJ, Hillege HL, de Boer RA. Short term vitamin D3 supplementation lowers plasma renin activity in patientswith stable chronic heart failure: an open-label, blinded end point, randomizedprospective trial (VitD-CHF trial). Am Heart J. 2013 Aug;166(2):357-64.
Rossel V, Díaz-Toro F, Verdejo H, Concepción R, Sepúlveda L, Castro P, et al. Galectina-3: experiencia en pacientes chilenos con diagnóstico de insuficiencia cardíaca descompensada [Galectin-3 levels in patients hospitalized for decompensated heart failure]. Rev Med Chil. 2017 Jun;145(6):734-740. Spanish. doi: 10.4067/s0034-98872017000600734. PMID: 29171621.
Schindler EI, Szymanski JJ, Hock KG, Geltman EM, Scott MG. Short- and long-term biologic variability of galectin-3 and other cardiac biomarkers in patients with Stable heart failure and healthy adults. Clin Chem. 2016;(62):360–6. doi: 10.1373/clinchem.2015.246553
Chen A, Hou W, Zhang Y, Chen Y, He B. Prognostic value of serum galectin-3 in patients with heart failure: A meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol. 2015;(182):168–170. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.12.137.
Cho-Kai Wu, Mao–Yuan M. Su, Yi-Fan Wu, Whang Juey Ju. Combination of Plasma Biomarkers and Clinical Data for the Detection of Myocardial Fibrosis or Aggravation of Heart Failure Symptoms in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction Patients. Journal of Clinical Medicine November 2018;(7):427.
Medvedeva EA, Berezin II, Surkova EA, Yaranov DM, Shchukin YV. Galectin-3 in patients with chronic heart failure: Association with oxidative stress, inflammation, renal dysfunction and prognosis. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2016; (64):595–602.
Vikrant Rai, Devebdra K. Agrawal Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am (2017);(46):1039-59.
Michael P. Dorsch, Carrie W. Nemerovski, Vicki L. Ellingrod, Jennifer A Cowger, D. Bradley Dyke, Todd M. Koelling, et al. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2014;(5):439-45.
Wallis DE, Penckofer S, Sizemore GW. The ‘’sunshine deficit’’ and kardiovascular disease. Circulation 2008; (118):1476-85.
Kamycheva E, Sundsfjord J, Jorde R. Serum parathyroid hormone levels predict coronary arter disease: The Tromso Study. Eur J Cardiovasc Prevent Rehabil. 2004;(11):69-74.
Pilz S, Tomaschitz A, Drechsler C, et al. Prathyroid hormone level is associated with mortality and cardiyovascular events in patients undergoing coroner angiography. Eur Heart J. 2010;(31):1591-8.
Assalin HB, Rafacto BP, dos Santos PP, et al. Impact of the length of vitamin D deficiency on cardiac remodelling. Circ Heart Fail. 2013;6(4):809-16.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Mustafa Özcan, Murat Akarsu, Şengül Aydın Yoldemir, Özgür Altun, Orkide Kutlu, Semih Kalyon, Gülden Yürüyen, Perihan Özkan Gümüşkaya, Neslihan Özsoy, Hasan Eruzun, Yücel Arman, Tufan Tükek
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Özgür Altun, Okan Dikker, Murat Akarsu, Yücel Arman, Şengül Aydın Yoldemir, Orkide Kutlu, Perihan Özkan Gümüşkaya, Tufan Tükek, The relationship of serum galectin-3 levels with obesity and insulin resistance , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 8 (2019):
- Orkide Kutlu, İsa Üzüm, Mustafa Durmuşcan, Ersoy Kekilli, Hakan Parlakpınar, Nurettin Onur Kutlu, Anti-osteoporotic effects of melatonin and misoprostol in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: An experimental study , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 8 (2019):
- Orkide Kutlu, Çiğdem Arabacı, Antibiotic susceptibility pattern of Enterococcus isolates in a five year period at a tertiary care hospital , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 9 (2019):
- Murat Akarsu, Şengül Aydın Yoldemir, Özgür Altun, Okan Dikker, Mustafa Özcan, Eylem Özgün Çil, Semih Kalyon, İlkim Deniz Toprak, Gazi Çapar, Yücel Arman, Tufan Tükek, The effects of overt hypothyroidism on adipose tissue and serum betatrophin levels , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 9 (2019):
- Çiğdem Arabacı, Orkide Kutlu, Evaluation of microorganisms isolated from blood cultures and their susceptibility profiles to antibiotics in five years period , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 3 No. 10 (2019):
- Yasemin Gökden, Semih Hot, Can Gönen, Semih Kalyon, Züleyha Akkan Çetinkaya, The value of adenosine deaminase level in assessing activation of inflammatory bowel disease , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 4 No. 8 (2020):
- Semih Kalyon, Perihan Özkan Gümüşkaya, Neslihan Özsoy, Mustafa Özcan, Ayşe Pala, Ayşe Basmakçı, Yücel Arman, Tufan Tükek, Delay in starting insulin therapy in patients with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 4 No. 8 (2020):
- Semih Kalyon, Perihan Özkan Gümüşkaya, Neslihan Özsoy, Mustafa Özcan, Şengül Aydın Yoldemir, İlkim Toprak, Özgür Altun, Murat Akarsu, Eylem Özgün Çil, Yücel Arman, Tufan Tükek, The relationship between sarcopenia and cognitive dysfunction in bladder tumor patients , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 4 No. 9 (2020):
- Semih Kalyon, Yasemin Gökden, Fırat Oyman, A new biological marker in inflammatory bowel disease: Pentraxin 3 , Journal of Surgery and Medicine: Vol. 4 No. 10 (2020):